Mixed Berry Jalapeño Jam
This jam, from Sharon Burley of Feast Kitchen, is extremely versatile. Serve on toast, with cream cheese as a dip, or even on sandwiches and meat! Yields about 2 cups.
1 lb, combination of raspberries and strawberries (half and half, or your preference)
1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and finely diced
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1. Wash and quarter the strawberries.
2. Deseed and dice the jalapeno. (leave the ribs on if you want to have a little spice, or remove them along with the seeds if you prefer a completely mild flavor).
3. Put both the strawberries and jalapenos in a sauce pan, along with the lemon juice and honey. Cover and bring the mixture to a gentle boil on medium heat.
4. Remove the lid, stir everything to combine, and reduce the heat to cook at a low boil, uncovered, for about 15 minutes
5. Add the chia seeds and stir to combine. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes, or until mixture has thickened.
6. Mash the jam with a fork or potato masher until desired texture.
7. Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring to a glass jar. Let cool completely before storing in the fridge.
*Keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 4 months.